Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Michelle Obama: Fashion Icon? or Fashion SHM-icon?

Now I am by no means a political person, but today I felt proud to be an american (woo freedom fries) when I watched the inauguration of Barack Obama as the 44th president of the United States. But something had been puzzleing me since the night of the election... what was Michelle wearing and why was she suddenly worshiped as a fashion icon? To me, I do not see the difference in Michelle's public dress than oh say Laura Bush's. A first lady is meant to be polished and classy. But does Michelle's choice of dress make her a Fashion ICON? I think that's stretching it a bit folks.
As I listened to the news reports today I was shocked to see her compared to Jackie Kennedy. JACKIE KENNEDY? No, just no. DID YOU SEE Michelle's ALL GOLD ensemble today? Clearly we are not seeing the same thing. I don't care if the designer is some independent non American chick from new york who shares part of my name. The dress is not cute and until you get some better fashion advice you will be no Jackie Kennedy in my book. Sorry Michelle.

No comments: