Monday, February 9, 2009

trendstalk: menswear

I'm not going to lie, i enjoy fashion. I enjoy looking at it. I enjoy wearing it. I enjoy talking about it. This leads me to read about trends and to follow numerous blogs. This season, one trend in particular had caught my attention. Menswear. Why is menswear for women so excellent? When it showed up in Fall '08, I was a little skeptical, but now I see the beauty in it. When worn well it is strong, yet sexy. It doesn't show too much, but doesn't have to be the "conservative mommy goes to work" outfit. Also, black and white is classic. It will never go out of style. The Yves Saint Laurent 'le smoking' suit (picture credit to: lightswitchclothing's Blog)is a classic example of this; sexy, sophisticated, simple, effortless, classic. Skirts can be shortened and blazers fitted. The best part of menswear is the ability to add feminine details. Menswear can be intertwined into many outfits, wither it is a men's watch, bow tie, blazer, button up, vest, oxford shoes, or suit shorts.

Here are some of my favorite menswear picks (that you can get at the mall) for under $75 to spark inspiration:

1. Urban Outfitter's "Lux Little Brother Blazer", $68 here
This lovely little jacket is cropped, which is perfect because it distracts from the masculinity of the jacket. It could be worn casually with a t-shirt or worn even with a dress. (Reese Witherspoon pulled of the casual blazer look here.) A bow accent would help add femininity to this piece.






2. American Eagle's Boy Fit Jeans, $29.99
here
These are honestly a steal. These are on my own personal wish list. For less than $30 (it's close, i know) you can get a relaxed, distressed denim look, which had shown up at the end of summer 2008. These look so comfortable. They could be jazzed up with a blazer or fedora. Even a t-shirt would work fine with this. It works for a relaxed spring look. (Check out Reese Witherspoon at the end of summer 2008, here)

3. Forever 21's Cuffed Dressy Short, $17.80 here
I own these and they are honestly my favorite shorts. They aren't hoochie short and they look good with everything. I typically wear them with a cardigan, tights, a t-shirt, and flats. Plus, they're only $18! I bet they'd even look great with heels.


Shake up your wardrobe a little bit.
Take some risks and don't be afraid to dress like a boy!

No comments: